NO MARMITE IN TUNISIA

Expat Life In Tunisia

Expat Discussion Forum

Forum Home > Experiences And What Is Required > Marriage And Paperwork

Melanie - Site Owner
Site Owner

I got married to my husband Tarek back in March then went for the visa in April he was home with me in May :-). I just took 6 months payslips 6 months bank statements, letter from my dad to confirm its ok for Tarek to stay with us, a letter from my employer stating i work there etc. lots of photos of the engagement party and wedding etc and previous times i was there. I also printed off emails that we had sent each other, marriage cert, both our birth cert in french, passports. Also copies of everything are needed. Also make sure if you apply after your married you marriage cert has to be translated in english and the original has to have alot of stamps we were running about like mad in Tunis to get people to stamp our papers

EXPAT COMMENT

August 5, 2010 at 2:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

eira ben ali

hi can you tell me a bit more about  the lots of stamps on your marriage certificate, i dont understand .as my husband is going with papers in september ,but solicitor has never mentioned stamps .who stamps the cert and what for ,im very anxious to know what to do thanx

August 6, 2010 at 1:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Melanie - Site Owner
Site Owner

Hi this is an expat comment from the old forum written a couple of years ago.  I copied over information which I thought may be useful.  I think what she means is that she had to authenticate all of her papers perhaps.....ie. take them to a local council office so that they can be stamped as genuine?  I believe she was doing this because she wanted her husband to join her in the UK, and naturally the Brits would need to know that the marriage was bone fide!

August 7, 2010 at 3:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

FoxyRoxie

I have got so much to do, and I will be heavily pregnant by this time too....xx

August 9, 2010 at 10:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

tina bouaziz

Hi i'm britsh my husband is tunisian but at present we live in the UK we not sure if we are going to move back to Nabeul an our tunisian family we was married in UK, are we able to have a tunisian blessing my husband thinks it will be easy i not so sure. We also have 2 small children does this compromise a tunisan wedding.?

August 17, 2010 at 3:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dee

Hi, I'm English and my fiance is Tunisian. We are getting married in Monastir, Tunisia in March and i would like to know how much it cost to get married in a Register office and how much the marriage certificate will cost. Also how much will it cost for me to get my birth certificate and decree absolute translated into French and do i have to get the certificate of no impediment translated at the British Embassy in Tunis or can i get it translated in England and just take it with me when i go?  If anyone can answer these questions i would really appreciate it.  Thanks

February 19, 2011 at 4:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

laura-jayne sallami
Hi guys can someone help me? My friend is going to get married in Tunisia next week but she's just read she needs her fathers consent as she's not quite 20! Problem is her father isn't around so what does she do now? She has a brother but he's younger than her. Really needhelo ASAP,poor chicken is stressing. Many thanks xx
May 6, 2011 at 7:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

melanie

Hello can someone help me about getting all the documents translated into french ? and where i can do this ? me and my fiancee are getting married in tunisia this september but i am only there for a week before we get married, is this enough time for me to get all documents translated ? and does the certificate of no impediment have to be in french/arabic also. thanks

May 14, 2011 at 4:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

georgia

melanie, the cert of no imped needs to be translated..all your docs need to be in at least french and yes you will have plenty of time...when i got married i was only there for 3 days before my actual wedding (got married in tabaka)

May 15, 2011 at 6:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jane B

georgia at May 15, 2011 at 6:37 AM

melanie, the cert of no imped needs to be translated..all your docs need to be in at least french and yes you will have plenty of time...when i got married i was only there for 3 days before my actual wedding (got married in tabaka)

Hi Georgia, hope you dont mind me asking you but i noticed that you recently posted a reply on here re marriage etc.  Im rather confused at the moment as to the step by step process of getting married.  Im currently divorced and only just received my Decree Absolute and know that in Tunisia that means i cannot marry again for 3 months.  That in itself is fine so im looking to get married about September in Bizerte.

Is there any way you could advise me as to the step by step process you took as youve recently got married there.  Who signs what? where? when? i get so much conflicting advise!!  Are there many trips to be made to Tunis?  Im sure its all straightforwardish but as my previous marriage was to an Englishman in England its all pretty Greek to me!! My fiance believes it is all quite easy but i can see us turning up on the day and having something missing!!!

Thanks ever so much if you can help me.

Jane

May 20, 2011 at 4:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

melanie

can someone tell me if me and my fiancee need to see a solicitor to sign a pre-nup ? i have been told this by my friend, but the embassy never told me this.

this is before we get married.

May 27, 2011 at 4:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ranj

Hi Melanie -does your husband want to sign a pre-nup? When we got married in Sousse, they did ask us what arrangment we would agreed and wanted recorded on the marriage certificate and contract. We opted for the 'regime of community of marital property' i.e. 50-50 if we ever separated but we were asked what we wanted here (and I believe that this can be specified in the contract should you wish to do so). We used a company called Wolfstone translations in the UK (I found on google) to translate my documents but I would suggest you search around - as long as the translation is stamped as a certifiied translation, there should not be any issues. The CONI can only be translated via the British Embassy in Tunis, though Where are you getting married in Tunisia? I have details of a translation company in Trocadero, Sousse if you want them done over there rather than from the UK (and cheaper!). They also translated our documents back from Arabic to English for our visa application and translate into many languages (including English to French for your birth certificate etc.). As Georgia mentioned you should be OK for time providing you get to the Embassy, translation company and the solicitors (if needed) as soon as you arrive. Just ensure that all your documents are not older than the specified time frames e.g CONI 3 months, birth certificate 14 days etc.  Good Luck!

May 28, 2011 at 7:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

melanie

Ranj at May 28, 2011 at 7:54 AM

Hi Melanie -does your husband want to sign a pre-nup? When we got married in Sousse, they did ask us what arrangment we would agreed and wanted recorded on the marriage certificate and contract. We opted for the 'regime of community of marital property' i.e. 50-50 if we ever separated but we were asked what we wanted here (and I believe that this can be specified in the contract should you wish to do so). We used a company called Wolfstone translations in the UK (I found on google) to translate my documents but I would suggest you search around - as long as the translation is stamped as a certifiied translation, there should not be any issues. The CONI can only be translated via the British Embassy in Tunis, though Where are you getting married in Tunisia? I have details of a translation company in Trocadero, Sousse if you want them done over there rather than from the UK (and cheaper!). They also translated our documents back from Arabic to English for our visa application and translate into many languages (including English to French for your birth certificate etc.). As Georgia mentioned you should be OK for time providing you get to the Embassy, translation company and the solicitors (if needed) as soon as you arrive. Just ensure that all your documents are not older than the specified time frames e.g CONI 3 months, birth certificate 14 days etc.  Good Luck!

We were not told about a pre-nup so i dont think he has any idea about this. We will get married in Nabeul and i think i will get everything translated when i am over there within the 10 days before getting married as i have been told there is a place in Hammamet.

yes i will go straight to the embassy the day after i arrive to get it translated and the same with the medical certificate. does the birth certificate have to be no older than 14 days as i travel out there 10 days before marrying,so this isnt giving me much time.

that is good about them translating it all back to english as we are hoping after a week of getting married we can apply for his spouse visa to come to england. thanks for your help.

May 30, 2011 at 4:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ranj

You ae very welcome, Melanie. We wish you all the very best. Just a note for to be mindful of (if you are not already aware), the British Embassy in Tunisia is only open from 8-12 Mon-Fri, I believe. Keep an eye on their website http://ukintunisia.fco.gov.uk/en/ (the marriage leaflet link is here http://ukintunisia.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-tunisia/010marriage-birth/010marriage ) and/or facebook as they sometimes have occasional days that the office is closed to the public. The birth cert I think had to be less than 14 or 21 days old  (I cannot remember exactly) - I am sure someone can confirm for you but if not, check with your fiancee as the rules vary depending on where you are getting married. I actually contacted my registrar's office here in UK and asked that the cert was not signed until I came to collect it, so it was signed on the day before departure (just in case!). It sounds like you have covered most bases here so, once again, Good Luck!  PS, For the spouse visa, I would recommend completing the application as soon as you can  with the aim of arranging the interview at the Embassy to coincide with a date after your marriage but you are still in Tunisia so you can present all of the supporting documents yourself to the Embassy  - currently they are taking approx 3 months to process these applications following the interview

June 4, 2011 at 7:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Janemaria Gibbons Abdallah

i got married in rades 4 yrs ago and all i needed to do was get my degree absolute as my husband sorted everything out in tunisia for when i got there and i arrived 3 days before the wedding and my tunisian family made my wedding week the best i could of asked for x x x

June 6, 2011 at 5:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

melanie

Ranj at June 4, 2011 at 7:19 AM

You ae very welcome, Melanie. We wish you all the very best. Just a note for to be mindful of (if you are not already aware), the British Embassy in Tunisia is only open from 8-12 Mon-Fri, I believe. Keep an eye on their website http://ukintunisia.fco.gov.uk/en/ (the marriage leaflet link is here http://ukintunisia.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-tunisia/010marriage-birth/010marriage ) and/or facebook as they sometimes have occasional days that the office is closed to the public. The birth cert I think had to be less than 14 or 21 days old  (I cannot remember exactly) - I am sure someone can confirm for you but if not, check with your fiancee as the rules vary depending on where you are getting married. I actually contacted my registrar's office here in UK and asked that the cert was not signed until I came to collect it, so it was signed on the day before departure (just in case!). It sounds like you have covered most bases here so, once again, Good Luck!  PS, For the spouse visa, I would recommend completing the application as soon as you can  with the aim of arranging the interview at the Embassy to coincide with a date after your marriage but you are still in Tunisia so you can present all of the supporting documents yourself to the Embassy  - currently they are taking approx 3 months to process these applications following the interview

Hi does my husband to be need to take this IElTS test (english) before applying for his spouse visa and will he need to do english lessons beforehand or can he just book to take the test.

His english speaking is good but he gets alittle confused when writing.

June 20, 2011 at 12:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dee

yes, your husband will have to take the English test before he can apply for his spouse visa. They do the tests at the British Council in Tunis one day every month and he will have to go there to register and apply for the test 3 weeks before the test date and pay the fee, which is 220 dinar. He will have to wait 13 days to get his certificate and then he can apply for his visa. My husband is in the process of doing this now. He has done the reading test and the rest he will do in two weeks time. They will need to get at least 50% to qualify as passing the test before they apply for their visa.

June 21, 2011 at 8:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Keeley Boughanmi

the english test is a new thing i have noticed as my huband didnt do this when he applied for his visa back in 2010, wishing everyone that is getting married or applying for a visa the best of luck and a happy future.xxx

June 24, 2011 at 2:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Josboui

I think you have been misinformed about how quickly you will get the results of the english test.  My husband did the speaking text on 28th May and the rest of it on 4th June, at first he was told he would get the results 2 weeks later, then he was told 29th June, then he was told 8th July and now on 13th June we were told he would get the results on 14th Julym this is 6 weeks after he completed the test.  I spoke in depth with the British Council concerning this and they said that Cambridge had increased the time of the results being posted and that we would have to log onto their website on 14th July with the id and password they gave us to find out the results.  If my husband passes it will take 4-6 months for his certificate to come through!!!! However the British Council aim to send the results to the British Embassy by email within a week after the results are given, thus enabling a speedier visa time as currently the wait is about 6 weeks.  I have already made my husbands appointment for his visa in anticipation of him passing so that we don't have to wait longer than necessary and I would suggest to everyone to do the same else you will be waiting a further 6 weeks.  I cannot believe how complicated it is to get the results of the test it is ridiculous.  I am sorry for having to inform you of this but this is what has happened to everyone who was on the test with my husband and the british council said it will be the same for everyone. Again sorry and good luck xx

June 26, 2011 at 3:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Naveed

Hi im getting married in tunisia (sousse) in October to my fiance.  Ive read all the forums about paperwork and it all makes sense thankyou. But i have two questions if anyone can help me with these; 1) after i apply for the CONI in the UK Registry office do i also apply for the notice of marriage here? 2) i know the birth certificate has to be within 21 days, i am a british citizen but i was born in pakistan.  So how will that work? i mean do i get a translation fo my (Pakistani birth certificate) into English in the UK by an interpreter within the 21 days before the wedding or... please help me out here, as ive rang and read everything but i cannot get the answer to these.  Thank you all.x

June 29, 2011 at 9:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

ARE YOU MISSING BRITISH FOOD IN TUNISIA?

URGENT - Wanted 1 or 2 Bedroom Apartment Tunis area

1 - 2 BEDROOM APARTMENT WANTED TO BUY IN THE TUNIS AREA
SERIOUS PURCHASER LOOKING TO BUY IN JANUARY/FEBRUARY 2014
Maximum budget 340,000 Tunisian Dinars
Send photos and details as soon as possible to :-
info@thetunisianhouse.co.uk

Advertise With Us

Contact Us For Rates :- nomarmiteintunisia@yahoo.fr

Featured Video : THE JEWISH-TUNISIAN SONG DEDICATED TO TUNISIA