NO MARMITE IN TUNISIA

Expat Life In Tunisia

Expat Discussion Forum

Forum Home > Becoming Resident In Tunisia > Obtaining A Carte Sejour

Melanie - Site Owner
Site Owner

For those applying for residency, the process is very straightforward.

You visit your local Bureau de Estrangers usually an office in the district's Police Station.

The Officer is charge will give you 2 copies of an application form to complete and a list of the relevant documents, stamps, etc you will need to submit. Last time I renewed I required the following:-

2 recent passport sized photos;

2 copies of rental agreement or contract of buying if property owner;

2 copies of attestation from your bank showing either how much you have and transfer in monthly;

2 photocopies of passport on photograph page;

2 photocopies of passport on page stamped with latest entry

date;

2 x 10 dinar stamps.

The CDS is now a laminated card & includes your photograph.

Application has to be made annually. When it is granted, every time you leave Tunisia you have to pay 60TD - like the locals! This stamp can be bought from either the Poste or from the customs officers at the airport (they used to sell them in the banks at the airports but not any longer).

The CDS allows you to stay in Tunisia indefinitely (as opposed to those who live there without it and have to leave the country every 3 months).

August 5, 2010 at 2:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Iwona

Question - is there an amount of money in the bank (down or monthly) to obtain a Carte Sejour for an unmarried individual, also - are the carte sejour requirements the same for Americans as they are for Europeans?

Thanks so much!

Iwona

December 19, 2010 at 10:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sarah Bringhurst Familia

Thank you for the very helpful post!

We have been living in Hammamet for the past couple of months and applied for a Carte Sejour last week.   The only difference in what we were told at the Secteur de Police last week that we needed 4 photos per person and only one 10 DT stamp each. 

Also, the man told us that we needed to open a Tunisian bank account, deposit 5-6k DT and return with a letter of attestation from our banker.  (We had assumed printouts of online statements from our USA account would be fine...wrong.)  I am a little bit hesitant of opening a bank account here with the current polital and economic situation.  Should I be?  I assume there are members with Tunisian bank accouns.  Can anyone recommend a good bank (either in Tunis or Hammamet)?  What are the documents required to open an account and what about the fees? Lastly, is there any general advice you have about banking here?

Either way, we are going to find a way to stay.  It is amazing here! Thank you kindly for your advice. 

--
April 7, 2011 at 4:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Melanie - Site Owner
Site Owner

Hello Sarah...welcome to Tunisia!  

Rules and regulations seem to change all the time...can't wait to see what happens after the elections!!!  At the moment, (unless any more changes that I'm not aware of) you need to have Tunisian nationality to open a Tunisian ordinary bank account.  What you will need to open is a hard currency account.  Into this you can send money from abroad, and it will remain in the currency that you sent it in, until the day that you give the bank the instructions to change it to dinars.  You can withdraw it in dinars or hard currency.  We have friends who originally bought a house through our estate agency, who sent money to their hard currency account in Tunisia to buy the house and for the purpose of the carte sejour.  They unfortunately had to use this for medical expenses, but when it came to renewing their carte sejour, they were told it was OK to be drawing money from the hole in the wall for their day to day living.  Another expat has a monthly amount from the UK sent to his Tunisian bank account to show that a regular amount is coming in, rather than having a lump sum.  These expats both live in the Nabeul area and both use the same police station as yourselves for obtaining their residency.  The bank that we use, and which we recommend to our customers is the BIAT bank.

April 8, 2011 at 1:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

carolle

melanie, I would have around 2.500 dinar a month is that enough to get carte sejour for me, if it isnt I need to know now before I start anything,  That is from 4 pensions that I get a month. I hope it is but will be great if you can tell me. Its only me so enough money to live, but is it enough for them to let me get carte sejour.

thanks carolle

November 7, 2012 at 12:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Megan

I am hoping someone can help me as I have searched high and low on the internet and cannot find any recent information on the carte de sejour.

I am wanting to apply for residency and am wondering how much money I would need in the bank, I would have a one lump sum rather than a monthly income as I am unemployed - would me being unemployed affect my chances of the carte de sejour being approved?

I cannot afford to constantly fly backwards and forwards like you do with the tourist visa, so I am thinking of going back to the UK and working up the money needed as a lump sum to then quit my job and come back here.

I have a partner here and he is working, however we are not married and don't plan to marry until we have enough money for a decent home as we want stability for our future, and his income is not strong enough to support the both of us. I feel that having a carte de sejour will actually save me money instead of constantly have to fork out for flights every 3 months.

any advice or information  would be much appreciated as I am struggling to find anyone or anything that can help me!

megan :)

May 1, 2013 at 4:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

heidi-rafik

When I marreid my husband, he took me to the local police office where he lived and we filed for my residency card. It was issued quickly and painlessly compared to my Canadian process would be for him if he ever wanted to move there. I strongly suggest doing this, have your partner go to his local police office and ask this question on your behalf, or to either a British Embassy you ask, or a Tunisian Embassy in your country. Best of luck on getting the answer your seeking. I've learned so much with living here. Different people in these offices you go to tell  you different things, or a different process even. Best of luck!

May 4, 2013 at 11:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

liz robinson

do i need to have a bank account to prove how much money i have to get a carte sejour if im married to a tunisian man?

May 5, 2013 at 12:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

heidi-rafik

We never were asked, either myself or my husband. I wonder if it depends on the region of Tunisia you apply from. But we were not asked at all. 

May 20, 2013 at 7:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jelassi3

Hi there i have a carte se jour, Me and my husband just simpy went to our local police station in carthage. They had to see my husbands id card and no his job and if we was living in a house, they didnt ask for proof. I then filled out an application type form which just required passport details name,age ect.. then i gave them 2 passport photos.. we had to buy a stamp from a town hall for 15 dinars.. and that was simply it.. I was given a temporary paper card and after 2 months got my original one. Very helpful but i also hear you have to pay to go out from the country which is ridiculous.. if anyone who has travelled recently with there carte se jour is it still 60 dinars??

June 7, 2013 at 10:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

CathyH

Travelled to uk last month on Carte Sejour was still 60 dinar and got stamp from bank in Tunis airport.

June 8, 2013 at 12:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Megan
How much money would you need as a lump sum for a carte de sejour if you are not married to a Tunisian man?
June 20, 2013 at 2:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

mino massilia

Megan at June 20, 2013 at 2:43 PM

How much money would you need as a lump sum for a carte de sejour if you are not married to a Tunisian man?

all the necessary informations are here in this blog                             
  http://www.cematmaghrib.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=81&Itemid=130     

June 23, 2013 at 6:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Megan

that is for american citizens & doesn't state the money needed :/ i will call the tunisian embassy in london maybe they can help.

June 23, 2013 at 8:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK - WE'RE BACK!

COMING SOON TO TUNISIA

Advertise With Us

Contact Us For Rates :- nomarmiteintunisia@yahoo.fr

ARE YOU MISSING BRITISH FOOD IN TUNISIA?

Featured Video : THE JEWISH-TUNISIAN SONG DEDICATED TO TUNISIA